Wednesday 14 March 2012

Why I Probably Should't Write a Post about UVA

This is the first campus that I have simply walked off of.  This school is not for me.

I could probably end the post there, but I feel I owe it to you, dear reader, to explain myself a little better.  Firstly, it's huge.  I've been looking at schools with between 2,000 and 11,000 students; UVA has 21,000 students on campus.  That's all in round numbers, but I think the difference is significant.  That kind of number severely impacts the campus ambiance.  Which is to say that UVA feels really impersonal.  Admittedly, I had just come from a tour of Duke with a very popular freshman and from W&L where the Speaking Tradition mandates that you say hi to everyone you see; but it is still ridiculous to me that one wouldn't say hi to people.  That's just who I am and I saw none of that at UVA.  The info session leader talked about an Honor Code at UVA similar to that of Davidson, Wake, and W&L, but I don't believe that it could possibly be implemented on a campus that size.  Why?  Because people suck, that's why.  Out of 21,000 people, there are bound to be a few bad eggs that have never been caught before.  They'll get in, and they'll ruin it for the rest of us.  The info session was also really uninformative.  I sat in for 35 minutes of a 45 minute info session, and I learned nothing useful about the college.

So, yeah. That's pretty much it.  I will not be applying to UVA.

No comments:

Post a Comment