Wednesday 28 March 2012

Washington Irving is my Boy

Apparently Washington Irving wrote a book called Tales of the Alhambra, or something like that.  This was news to me, but luckily he got to tell me himself about his time there.  The audio guide people at the Alhambra have apparently resurrected him and forced him to read their script for tourists.  It is more than a little bit creepy.

But the Alhambra is gorgeous.  You absolutely must buy a timed entry since they only allow 300 people in per day and it's so worth it.  I got in during the 9 AM slot and stayed until 2:30.  The grounds are incredibly expansive.  The Alhambra is a Moorish palace in Granada, Spain and is incredibly well kept.  The gardens are beautiful, the site is trash free (somehow) and the building still looks like it's in very good condition for having survived from the moorish period. Personally, after giving up on Washington Irving, I had a lot of fun following groups of school children and listening to their teachers and tour guides.  It was a great way to exercise my spanish and I actually made some friends.  They're third graders from Granada, but they were incredibly polite.  Also super cool about the Alhambra are the hotels actually located on the grounds.  I discovered an adorable place called Hotel America to grab a sandwich and something sweet and I found it awesome.  The food was good and the place was super cute.

All in all, my crazy day in Granada (I flew in and flew out the same day) was a lot of fun.  I'll try to throw up some pictures as soon as I can make my camera work...

No comments:

Post a Comment