Friday 2 December 2011

Welcome to PMUNC

As of last night, I am Nikolai Bulganin on the Politburo of the USSR, 1945. Why? you may ask. Because I am a member of the Greenwich Academy delegation at the Princeton Model UN Conference. Just when you thought I couldn't get any nerdier, you find out I'm a Model Government kid. In my defense, I am no where near as intense as some of the other kids. I thought my binder was good, but some kids have 3 1/2 inch binders that legitimately don't close.  But enough about Model Government kids, lets talk about historical international relations!
My committee this year is the Politburo of the USSR, so all the delegates are different members of the main policy making body of the  Soviet Union.  I'm pretty sure the only downside of being on this committee is having to memorize multisylabic russian names.  As of our fourth committee meeting we have resolved our first crisis topic: policy making regarding post-Nazi Germany at the Yalta Conference. One thing that's really cool about historical committees is the ability to correct the mistakes of the past. Of course that's not to say that we have, but having the knowledge that we can is really cool.  I think my committee this year strikes an interesting balance between historical accuracy and fantasy.  We all represent different soviet Russians and we (for the most part) portray them with historical accuracy, but we have to respond to fictional crises.  Today, we were threatened by an Allied that to invade the motherland (which was later discovered to be a bluff) and a Japanese attack on Soviet territory near Vladivostok. Both were dealt with quickly and efficiently. So efficiently that we had time to draft and pass a treaty regarding the division and governance/management of postwar Germany as well a the extraction of reparations from German territories.  In the midst of all this directive passing, three of our number were sent to the gulag and two executed.  It's been a busy day.  Personally, I'm very impressed and happy with our plan for reparations; I think it's comprehensive and effective. I have some reservations regarding the way our treaty divided up Germany, but that's mostly because the plan I sponsored with Korotchenko which comprehensively went through Germany province by province and divided it between the Allied powers didn't get passed. I think the one we did pass is too general.
All in all, I'm really happy with what has gone down already in my committee.  I'll do my best to keep y'all updated, but I'm currently blogging from my phone because I'm too cheap to pay for internet.  Tomorrow we begin our next topic: how to handle Soviet involvement in the Korean conflict. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment