Monday 5 December 2011

(Communist) Party Rock Anthem

I believe it is an accepted fact that nothing productive is accomplished on the last day of a MUN conference.  And if it isn't it should be.

Sunday marked the last day of PMUNC 2011, and the Politburo of the USSR marked it well with an execution, an invasion, superlatives, dirty MUN puns, and "In Soviet Russia..." jokes.  Comrade Voroshilov was accused of and promptly executed for: "shaving off the wise, glorious facial hair of Comrade Stalin while he was in a wise, glorious, illustrious, and patriotic drunken stupor; telling the entire Leningrad district that he does in fact feel pretty; conspiring to slowly poison the committee with the sound of his voice; defacing the body of glorious Comrade Lenin in unspeakable ways; and replacing all the signs in the Moscow District that say CCCP with a crudely drawn CCCPenis".  We invaded ECOFIN and brought the same charges against them.  Superlatives were granted for "Most Likely to Go to Jail", "Most Likely to Be an Informant" (all of us; we're soviets), "Best Facial Hair", "Best Actual Communist", and "Best James Franco Look Alike".  To assuage your concerns, none of these were granted to me personally, but we all had a good time laughing about what a great time we had.  But my favorite part of Sunday was definitely the dirty MUN puns.  One of my friends has an axiom, "All jocks think about is sports; all nerds think about is sex" and no where is that more evident than at a Model UN Conference.  Admittedly, parliamentary procedure lends itself to dirty puns ("Motion to table the chair" or anything involving the word "caucus"), but what surprised me the first time I went to a MUN conference was how easily the United Nations itself lends itself to dirty jokes ("For a third world country, you're awfully developed" or anything involving the country "Djibouti").  Long story short, Model UN is awesome.

But on a serious note, I think Model UN is a quality exercise.  I not only enjoy myself while there, I enjoy doing the research for my committees.  Writing a position paper is an onerous exercise, but you are forced to learn about a new angle of historical or modern international relations.  And I find it interesting.  I really wish my delegation went to more of these events, because I would go to as many of them as I could.  If any of you reading know of any conferences that are still open for registration, please let me know in the comments, because I am currently trying to figure out if I can attend more as an independent delegate.  Even if it's for next year, I'd love to begin figuring things out!

No comments:

Post a Comment