Wednesday 29 February 2012

Competitive Shakespeare

I do some weird things...

Last Tuesday I had the opportunity to compete in my high school's Shakespeare Competition and this week I'm moving on the the branch competition of the English-Speaking Union's Shakespeare Competition.  I will be performing Timon from Act III sc. vi of Timon of Athens, which (in the words of a friend of mine/my english teacher from last year) is an unusual choice.  This monologue will be coupled with Sonnet 130 in competition.

I'm really excited about this opportunity, crazy though it might be.  My monologue is a grand "F*** you" to Timon's false friends, and my monologue, though perhaps less than complimentary to the woman to whom it is directed, is incredibly sweet and truthful at the end.  And I have the added bonus of clearly playing men in both performances.  I make no attempt to feminize either.

If any of you are in the area, it's in the Cole Auditorium at the Greenwich Library at 3 today (Leap Day, 2012).  It should be really interesting....

Addendum: because of inclement weather, the competition has been rescheduled to March 7. So look for that.

UPDATE: I placed 4th out of 20 competitors.  I won $25!  It's awesome to be paid to act.

No comments:

Post a Comment