Friday 30 September 2011

Trying to Learn a British Accent...

...is way harder than I thought.  Or more boring.  I can't decide which.  Who knew that it was so tiring for your lip muscles?  David Allen Stern Ph.D. is teaching me and I have to say it's really jarring when he switches between an English and an American accent.  I honestly can't tell if he's American or British, he's that good at both.  Although I'm pretty sure he's British; but that assessment is based entirely on the fact that his American Accent sounds a little bit too generic and the fact that he started in a British accent.  So I might be a little bit biased on this one.

Anyway rehearsals are getting off to a great start.  I think we have the groping down (almost all of the stage directions tell us to "grope" our way across the stage) and our pacing is slowly working it's way to awesome.  According to the schedule, we need to be off book by then end of next week so that should help a lot.  The show is way raunchier than I thought it was from the sides.  As our director says "There's a lot of smooching".  Demonstrative of the craziness of this play: I play a middle-aged spinster and my chest gets grabbed at one point.  As I say, it's pretty crazy.  I seriously question what scene our director will see fit to preform for Preview, since he usually chooses one of the more suggestive scenes in order to attract the teenage boy demographic.

The set hasn't been begun quite yet (although apparently we'll be able to play around on it in the black box a week from monday) but it looks pretty interesting.  It's supposed to be an apartment with the bedroom on the higher level, an offstage studio/gallery, and a sitting room where most of the action takes place.  It'll be mostly my Stage Design class that builds most of this thing, so I'm really interested to find out how we'll be executing this crazy dream of our director.

All in all, the play is shaping up to be really interesting.  I will definitely keep y'all posted as the process develops!

No comments:

Post a Comment